Friday, August 10, 2012

Looking Back - Not Always a Bad Thing

So I have been running a lot lately. It has been an amazing shift in my mind and heart. When I first moved to Thailand I thought for sure my running days were over with all the heat. But finally I made the decision to just try. Best decision I ever made.

I decided to start walk/run to break in slow. Then sometime in June I decided to start running. I decided to look back at my past runs on my Garmin Forerunner 101. Here are a few samples:
  • June 12th - 8:38km pace for 5.2km
  • June 14th - 8:16km pace for 4.78km
  • June 20th - 7:51km pace for 3.24km
  • June 26th - 7:39km pace for 4.92km
  • July 07th - 7:33km pace for 5.11km
  • July 19th - 7:18km pace for 5.50km
  • July 29th - 7:11km pace for 10.35km
  • Aug 02nd - 6:55km pace for 6.44km
  • Aug 09th - 6:35km pace for 6.44km
Sometimes when I feel discouraged or wonder what progress I am making it is good to look back. It isn't always bad. It's important for us to track our progress. It reminds us of where we were and what we are becoming. If you haven't started keeping track, start. It's encouraging to do so. In 2 months I knocked off 2 minutes off my pace. I wouldn't have known that if I didn't follow up.

I know we are told to not look back and only look forward, but sometimes to glance back reminds of where we were, where we are and gives us hope for the future. Press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment