Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Inevitability of Injury

So I have been out of commission for about 3 weeks now. I have been suffering through what the doctors tell me is a heel spur. It is painful and swollen where the Achilles attaches to the bone. It's aggravating because the rest of me feels fine, until this injury starts to take its mental toll.

There are 3 categories of runners. Those who have been injured before, those currently injured and those who will be injured. It is the nature of the sport. We can blame it on the shoe companies for manipulating our running form with the style of shoes they offer. We can blame it on over training. We can blame it on not listening to our bodies. We can blame it on running from the street dog that looks like it wants to take a piece of your thigh. The truth is, injuries fall into all these categories plus many more. It is probably the worst part about running.

Not being able to run for the last 3 weeks has taken a toll on my spirit and emotions as well. It isn't that I am obsessed or addicted to running, but when something means a lot to you and is suddenly ripped away, it leaves a hole. Do you know what I mean? I have some really great days and other days I fake it. Some days I don't have the strength to fake it. But I have learned a few things about myself in this process.
  1. My whole life is connected together. When one piece is out of whack it makes me "walk with a limp" metaphorically and literally speaking. I knew this before, I think. This experience just confirmed it.
  2. It gives me the ability to encourage others. Some days it is sending a friend an email or catching up for lunch. It is going out to visit the running club even if I can't run just to show support. To stay engaged. My friend K told me that runners are very compassionate and understanding with each other because we have all been injured. It is something we all understand together. Encouraging others keeps me from throwing a pity party as well.
  3. Lastly, it reminds me that my life is more than running. No doubt it is an important piece but my faith and family come before it. It helps me appreciate those things even more.
I will try to run a little tomorrow. I am probably about 90% better. I need to go give it a try and see how it feels. I know I have gained some weight back but not much. It's OK. We never "arrive" with running. We are always on a journey. I am way behind in training for the Bangkok Marathon but I will do my best and there are many running adventures to look forward to down the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment