Friday, June 15, 2012

Swimming...Or Something Like That

I get to swim at a Sports Complex close to my house that is ran by the Thai Navy. It's a nice outdoor pool 50m long. I have swam in it twice so far. The first time was for only 200m and this last time was only 300m. Do any of you struggle with swimming? Man it is a terrible experience as far as feeling like I am getting anywhere. As a matter of fact I have 2 pictures to show you of my swimming experience.


Well, at least this is how I usually feel. I am either feeling like a huge whale barely trudging through the water or I feel like I am going to drown. But I swim because it is good for my body. My knees thank me and my back does too. It is a full body workout without the pounding of running on pavement. I would like to swim 3x a week and run 3x a week until its time to start marathon training. I just need to learn a little bit more about the mechanics of swimming.

Anyone have any good swimming advice? Does anyone know any good online tutorials? One of the big questions I have is should I swim for an hour and just try to improve on how many laps I accomplish? Or should I try to continue to increase distance/time?

Swimming is a sport I love and hate. Anyone else? If not swimming, what sport/exercise do you love to hate? I am just going to keep persevering. A bad day of exercising is still a good day to be alive.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I have been a swimmer all my life - competed at relatively high levels in my teen years (loooong time ago now :-) ). It is the best sport anyone can do for all-round fitness, running will eventually kill your body. I would suggest you increase your laps and do at least half hour at a time for 3 times a week. Make it a goal to swim one more lap each time. Don't worry about how long it takes - just slowly increase your stamina for longer distance! Be encouraged :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Phil. That's very helpful. Thanks for the encouragement.Sounds like a good idea to me.

      Delete