Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tools of the Trade?

I thought I would share a few tools I use. Maybe you would like to use them as well? I will even include a few I don't use but I know are helpful.

Online Resources
  • LiveStrong - I use the MyPlate tool on this website. It is pretty exhaustive and you can track the food you eat everyday. It also keeps track of the nutritional values as well. It's not perfect because if it is not the exact product, it can vary but it gives you a pretty good idea. I have used it for years and helps me with weight loss because I can set calories and track calories burned in a workout. You can track your weight on here as well. Sign up is free. Check it out. Play around with it. I love it.
  • Dailymile - I record every workout with it. LiveStrong can track calories, but DailyMile tracks progress and keeps track for you. You can even map out courses ahead of time so you get an idea of how far you are going or how big the spot is. You can build a little online community of locals that help keep you motivated as well. It can track 18 different types of workouts. Gives weekly totals as well. Good tool. Worth using.
  • Runner's World - Yeah, Yeah. Not everyone is a runner, I know. But the fitness and nutrition advice are outstanding. There are inspiring and motivating articles as well. I like to check it out a couple times a week to see what is up.
  • Triathlete - This is what I want to be when I grow up. It is a bookmark I see all the time. I read articles a couple times a week. I am not a triathlete. I want to be though. What do you want to be? Put it somewhere you can see it. This site sits next to Ironman Phuket 70.3. This is my dream goal for December 2013. Impossible is nothing. What would be your dream goal?
  • Calorie King - I don't use this because I am a loyal to LiveStrong, but it is absolutely the best at tracking calories and nutritional values. Test it. It's good.
Workout Tools
  • Polar Heart Rate Monitor - I used to use it all the time. Run in your heart zone. It is crucial. I stopped using it because I have a good feel for my body now and run on instinct. Weird I know, but if you never used one, take a look at it. Good stuff.
  • Garmin Forerunner 101 - Super basic GPS. It keeps track of my runs. It tracks pace, ave pace, distance, laps. There are definitely much fancier ones than this one, but again, I am loyal to it. It still works. I've had it since 2006. Got me through my first marathon training. Much better than trying to figure it all out on your own.
  • Swim Goggles - Wasn't a fan when I bought them. Now I can't swim without them. If you think you would like to swim, try a pair out and see if you like them. Never know.
I know there are tons of online resources as well as gadgets and gizmos. Do you guys have any input? Things you use that you like or don't like? Share away in the comment section below.

2 comments:

  1. I've been using SportTracker, a free iPhone/android app. It uses the GPS on your phone to track your speed, distance, lap times by custom intervals, estimated calorie burn and even has a speed:altitude chart. A friend of mine is training for a marathon and introduced it to me. The nicest part is that it's integrated to my phone so it doesn't matter where I'm at, I can hit start workout and go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. IPhone apps. I should have known there was an app for that. Sounds cool. One day if I ever upgrade from my $15 phone, I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete